17 June, 2010
Day Two: Lunenburg, NS to Oswego, NY
1200 Pos. 46° 26.7′ N, 061° 54.12′ W
140 NM Run since 1200 16 June.
Barometer at 1019 Mb and slowly falling
Breeze at Force 4, WxS
Seas: 1-3′ W.
Sailing between 6-8.5 knots on a Port tack under Fore, Fore Top, Main, Staysail and Jib Jackyard Tops’l.
Back on the breeze again. Yesterday, just after posting my report, the breeze died entirely and we motored for five hours or so. It filled again at 1600, from the South West, and allowed us to sail out off shore, and then back in again toward Cape Canso once we had the slant on it.
From Canso into Chedabucto Bay we took in sail and motored with light and contrary breezes, and a Vessel Traffic Service to report into. Also in the service was Pride of Baltimore II, roughly three hours ahead of us. Captain Jan Miles of Pride II and I have been speaking about weather strategy on the single side band at regular intervals. Based on the reports earlier in the day yesterday, we would have had a tough time at Canso had we left any earlier than we did.
We cleared the Canso Lock, which is a control lock with no real rise or fall, at 0430 and motored up St. Georges Bay, finding the breeze at 0800 when we entered the Northumberland Strait. We shut down again and have been sailing since. The forecast is for increasing and backing winds – Southwest as high as 25 – which will be a great help in getting us toward Gaspe and the mouth of the St. Lawrence. We’ll have to sail her well — the follow on forecast is for brisk Northerlies. If we can round the corner and enter the river before the shift it will be a great help to our progress.
Captain Jamie Trost and the St. Lawrence bound crew of Lynx.